Johnson County Missouri
Planning & Zoning
Intent and Actuality
What members of the public though Planning and Zoning was intended to accomplish versus what the plan as developed actually does.
This page only talks about those uses that 'most everyone would consider "undesirable neighbors" - it doesn't talk about the myriad of uses that might offend one group or another.
Intent: Make sure that substantial new confinement livestock operations do not create odor & pollution problems
- Only those farms with over 1000 animal units kept in confinement are regulated by requiring a distance buffer that would effectively prevent them from locating within the county, should the provision withstand legal challenge. 1000 animal units correspond to:
- 1000 beef cattle in a feed lot
- 2500 hogs in an indoor finishing operation
- 55,000 turkeys (approximately 5 buildings)
- 100,000 broilers (slightly more than 3 buildings with 27,000 birds each)
- A landowner may keep any lesser number of animals in confinement on lots as small as 3 acres (Rural Residential)
- A landowner may keep any number of animals on lots as small as 3 acres as long as they can graze on some vegetation.
Intent: Prevent or strictly limit new 'adult entertainment' buisinesses.
- Actuality: The plan requires a distance buffer that would, should it withstand court challenge, effectively prevent any new adult entertainment business from locating in the county. It does not affect those already here or under construction, which cannot be closed and which can rebuild if accidentally destroyed.
Intent: Control the unchecked growth of Mobile Home Parks
- Actuality: Fairly detailed requirements, including zoning change if a new park is to be installed or an existing one increased by more than 50%. Does not prevent a landowner in AG, RR or R-1 from installing a trailer.
LANDFILLS, QUARRIES, STRIP MINES:
Intent: NIMBY (not in my back yard)
- Actuality: Not addressed except through Industrial zoning. Existing not affected; besides, all are state regulated.
JUNKYARDS, AUTO RECYCLING CENTERS, TIRE RECYCLING, ETC:
- Actuality: Existing ones controlled by screening (fence or vegetative) from existing roads/residences only. New ones require rezoning with a hearing.
| [Old Drum Net Home] [Zoning Page] [Intent and Actuality] [Some Major Provisions] [Analysis] [Supporter Comments]
This website compliments of
including Cedarcroft Farm Bed & Breakfast
431 Southeast County Road Y, Warrensburg, Missouri, 64093