Bill Wayne's Political Pages - The Gadfly
Submitted to the Warrensburg Gazette for January 10, 2002
The Gadfly is a series of letters offering commentary on local issues and published in the Warrensburg Gazette.
The primary election for City Council is only a month away and absentee voting has already started, yet we have no idea where the candidates stand on any local issues. Here are a few questions I’d like answered before deciding which candidates I’d support.
While I vote outside the city, I contribute to its coffers as a property owner and through spending in local stores, so I, too, have a strong interest in what goes on in Warrensburg.
- How did the City get into its current financial situation?
- Under what circumstances would you support a tax increase?
- What kind of tax would you support, and why?
- What do you think the city’s top 5 spending priorities should be.
- What approach would you take toward solving the Community Center’s problems?
- The fire department recently had a ‘scandal’ because complaints weren’t addressed promptly. How would you prevent such a ‘scandal’ from recurring?
- There is a perception that the fire department unionized because of the city’s unwillingness to address working condition issues. How would you address this problem?
- What should be the city’s role in encouraging retail and industrial development?
- Do you support Tax Increment Financing for local development? Explain?
- What is the City Council’s responsibility in overseeing use of tax money by non-government entities, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Big Brothers, etc.?
- What should be the city’s relationship with Warrensburg Main Street?
- How do you view the city’s relationship with CMSU?
- What relationship should exist between the City Council and the Warrensburg R-VI School Board?
vWhat should be the relationship between the city and Johnson County?
- In your view, how is the city affected by the fact that Johnson County is unzoned?
- Should Warrensburg support resurrecting the “Regional Planning Commission?” Why or why not?
- Warrensburg has a reputation for being a “party town.” Is this a problem? What problems do you see with the bar situation and how would you address them?
| Old Drum Net Home | Gadfly Index |
This website compliments of
including Cedarcroft Farm Bed & Breakfast
431 Southeast County Road Y, Warrensburg, Missouri, 64093